How about this: Mix it up with a delicious healthy twist this year... and have Pumpkin Apple Crisp!
Pumpkins and apples are both in season, making them delicious due to being picked at their peak ripeness as fall seasonal produce. They are also more affordable at this time of year because they are in season. You can get a bushel of apples at your local farmers' market for a great price.
I do love pie, but sometimes I crave a dessert with a crispy topping. Try my Pumpkin Apple Crisp that was featured on daytime York Region on Rogers TV below!
Pumpkin Apple Crisp
2 cups peeled chopped apples (about 3 small apples. I used Cortland Apples)
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup margarine
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice - every basic girl's favourite spice!
1 cup canned pure pumpkin (or you can bake and puree your own fresh pumpkin)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Whipped cream (Optional. For me it is a necessity)!
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spread apples over bottom of 9-inch glass pie plate. Microwave uncovered on High 4 to 6 minutes or until apples are crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, toss 3/4 cup flour, the brown sugar, butter and 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice until crumbly. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients except whipped cream with wire whisk until smooth. Pour over apples.
- Sprinkle with flour mixture.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and set. Cool 20 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time 1 hr 15 min