For all the non-cooks out there, this is a simple healthy snack idea that is great for a pre-workout or when on-the-go. Who else needs healthy snacks while driving? *raises hand* These naturally sweetened Vegan Prune Coconut Energy Balls make a great mess-free snack that’s perfect if you spend lots of time in traffic like I do!
And even better, this recipe uses prunes as a natural sweetener. Did you know that eating about five California prunes (40g) per day can help slow down bone loss? I bet you never thought of prunes as a food for bone health! Also, prunes are a source of dietary fibre, helping to manage blood sugar levels and have a low glycemic index.
This recipe also contains walnuts; a great source of omega 3 fatty acids – great for helping to prevent heart disease. Topped with unsweetened desiccated coconut, they look like beautiful snow balls – pretty appropriate for this time of year in snowy January!
I sweetened these with maple syrup to make the recipe vegan, but you are welcome to use honey.
Check out the recipe below! Do you prepare healthy snacks for busy days? Let me know with a comment!
RECIPE: Vegan Prune Coconut Energy Balls
1 cup California prunes
1⁄2 cup desiccated unsweetened coconut + 2 tbsp for rolling
1 cup walnuts
1⁄4 cup raw cacao powder
1⁄4 cup maple syrup
1⁄2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Place walnuts and prunes in a food processor on high speed. Process for couple minutes until mixture becomes sticky but chopped.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until even.
- Wet your hands. Take a tablespoon size of mixture and roll into a ball. Set aside.
- When all balls are done, roll them in remaining coconut and press slightly.
- Store in an air tight container in fridge for up to 7 days.
This recipe was inspired by Smart Healthy Start.
Disclaimer: This recipe post was sponsored by The California Prune Board. All opinions are my own and are genuine! #EatCAprunes #prunes4bones